"Marne Thunder"The Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 3rd Division Artillery was first constituted on 12 November 1917 in the Regular Army as Headquarters, 3rd Field Artillery Brigade, and assigned to the 3rd Division. It was initially organized on 26 November 1917 at Camp Stanley, Texas. It served in France with the 3rd Division in the Champagne-Marne, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, and Champagne 1918 Campaigns. It was disbanded on 16 October 1939 at Fort Lewis, Washington, and reconstituted on 1 October 1940 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 3rd Division Artillery at Fort Lewis, Washington.
A short seven years later, the 42nd Fires Brigade, which was inactivated at Fort Polk, LA in 1995, was reactivated at Fort Stewart October 2013. On 16 October 2014 the 42nd Fires Brigade was re-designated as 3rd Infantry Division Artillery (DIVARTY). This watershed moment marked the official return of Marne Thunder as proud Dog Faced Soldiers in support of the 3rd Infantry Division