The 1st Battalion, 41st Field Artillery traces its history to the formation of the 41st Field Artillery Battalion at Camp Custer, Michigan, in August 1918, as part of the 14th Infantry Division. The unit was reconstituted in the regular Army in October 1933. On 1 October 1940, the Battalion was activated and assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division at Fort Lewis, Washington. During World War II, the Battalion fired the first American rounds in the European Theater of Operations, participated in 9 campaigns, and was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation and French Fouragere. The unit was deactivated after the war at Camp Campbell, Kentucky.
The unit was reconstituted in March 1948, at Fort Benning, Georgia as the 41st Field Artillery, an element of the 3rd Infantry Division. The Battalion was inactivated 1 July 1957 at Fort Benning and relieved from assignment to the 3d Infantry Division. Redesignated in August 1957 as the 1st Missile Battalion, 41st Field Artillery (Honest John), it was inactivated in 1963 in Germany. It was then redesignated in September 1971 as the 1st Battalion, 41st Field Artillery (Pershing).
The Battalion was activated at Fort Stewart on 26 August 1988, as an element of the 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized). The Battalion deployed to Saudi Arabia in August 1990 in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. In October 1993 the Battalion supplied the only artillery battery deployed to Somalia for Operation Restore Hope. The M109A2 howitzer was replaced by the M109A6 (Paladin) in July 1994, and by 20 September 1994, 1-41 Field Artillery became the first Direct Support battalion to be PALADIN certified in the U.S. Army. One week later, Glory's Guns deployed to Kuwait to deter Iraqi aggression in support of Operation Vigilant Warrior.
The Battalion was relieved from assignment from the 24th Infantry Division and assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division on 15 February 1996. The Battalion deployed again in 1998 to Kuwait to deter Iraqi aggression and confirm Iraqi compliance with United Nations sanctions. The Battalion deployed to Kosovo as part of KFOR3A in May 2001, providing Bright Sky missions throughout the rotation for the prevention and interdiction of weapons and arms smuggling across the Kosovar/Macedonian border, earning the Army Superior Unit Award.
On 24 December 2002, the Battalion received a deployment order and began deploying in January 2003 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. On 20 March 2003, the Battalion fired the first rounds in support of ground forces of Operation Iraqi Freedom destroying three observation posts and one command post along the Kuwait/Iraq border. Over the next 23 days the Battalion was in continuous enemy contact fighting gallantly firing 5196 rounds in direct support of 1st Brigade Combat Team in the Battles of An Najaf escarpment, Al Kifl, and the decisive battle for Saddam International Airport. The Battalion earned the Presidential Unit Citation for its actions during OIF I.
In January 2005, 1-41 FA deployed with 1st Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division to the Salah ad Din Province in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom III. The Battalion fired 5869 rounds while located on four different Forward Operating Bases (FOB) in support of the Brigade's seven maneuver Battalions. Additionally the Battalion led the Brigade's Provincial Police Partnership Program, provided the command and control for the security of FOB Remagen, and provided the nucleus of the Brigade's Tactical Command Post at Logistics Supply Area Anaconda.
In January 2007, 1-41 FA deployed with 1st Heavy Brigade Combat Team (HBCT), 3rd Infantry Division to the Al Anbar Province in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom V. The Battalion fired 3469 rounds while located on two Camps, one Forward Operating Base and a Joint Security Station (JSS) in support of the Brigade’s three Army maneuver Battalions and three Marine Corps Infantry Battalions. Additionally, the Battalion once again led the Brigade’s Provincial Police Partnership Program.
Upon returning to Ft. Stewart, 1-41 FA, along with 1st HBCT assumed the CBRNE Consequence Management Response Force (CCMRF) mission as part of USNORTHCOM on October 1, 2008. For the first time in the Nation’s history, an active duty Army Brigade was on alert to aid the Nation through direct support to federal agencies and civil authorities in response to a natural disaster or terrorist attack against the United States or any of its territories. During the one year mission assignment, the Battalion task force trained with lead federal agencies on search and rescue operations, confined spaces training, and conducted check rides with local and federal police agencies all while concurrently training for a National Training Center Full Spectrum Operations/Counter-Insurgency Rotation and a future deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
In December 2009, 1-41 FA deployed as an advise and assist maneuver Battalion as part of 1st HBCT, 3rd Infantry Division. The tasks of 1-41 FA in Baghdad, Iraq were many and varied: hot gun missions, escorts for Provincial Reconstruction Teams, support of Stability Transition Teams, national election support and most of all, a partnership with the Iraqi First Federal Police Division in eastern Baghdad. In its final mission set, 1-41 FA conducted stability operations from five locations, its primary mission being to support the Iraqi Security Forces in their continuing effort to create a stable and free Iraq. The Battalion re-deployed to Fort Stewart, GA in December 2010.
Today, as always, Glory's Guns stands ready to deploy in support of full spectrum operations and to deliver timely, accurate and lethal fires anywhere in the world whenever our nation calls.